Sunday 5 February 2012

Today !

First of all, let me say that I've been extremely lucky and as far as I can see, get the pun ? My eye seems to be OK.

Yesterday was a complete right off, it simply poured down with rain from dawn to dusk and beyond. This morning is another day and the weathers fine, so I'm going to put a second brood pen of Light Sussex together. When I say this, I mean that we're going to put a fifty metre enclosure of electric poultry netting up, move a shed and then, under the cover of darkness, I'm going to catch four hens and a cock up and put them together for the season.
This is how things went on.

Look! No snow ! We took these pictures today, this is where I decided to put up the new pen.






With non too willing help from young Rob, we soon got the fencing up. We used wooden posts on each corner and fastened the electric netting posts to them with bailer twine. By doing this we were able to get some real tension on the netting without it coming into contact with the posts.




 Here's the pen completed.





On Monday, we put the Chicken coop in to the run and picked the birds up that evening. Here they are.



The four ladies. These are super big hens that I hatched from eggs that a friend from Cambridge sentto  me. They are from her parents birds and are a utility strain that they've kept for thirty or so years.




The cock has a bit of age about it now and is one that I swopped with a Yorkshire breeder a few years ago.






This is the second  of two pens of LS that I have, The other one, consists of a brother of these hens running with some of my original birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment