Saturday 21 January 2012

My Poultry.

My brother and I were presented with a bantam hen each by a kindly man in the village, when we moved to the house that my dear old mum still lives in to this day. That was in 1962 and from the day that that we got those two birds, that was me hooked, I've more or less kept chickens of some kind ever since.

I get a great deal of enjoyment from keeping poultry and yesterday, I took the camera on my rounds, I hope that you enjoy your visit.


I have a mixed flock of a dozen ducks. Seven Indian Runners and five White Campbells.



They're brilliantly funny to watch and sometimes, as they move across the fields they almost look as though they are sequence dancing.

 I've kept these Light Sussex for the last four years or so and found them to be exceptional layers and as an add on, just last year I started to keep Welsummers.
These are my stock birds. The ones that you can see are either two or three years old and I couldn't have asked anymore from them. Whats more, last year they bred some fantastic pullets for me. The purest might say that their collars are a little indistinct but as you'll see later, I've sorted this out without detracting from their laying qualities.
Here you go.








Mated to this cock that I hatched from eggs that I had from a friend.




I've been able to produce these quality Light Sussex pullets.








Now for my Welsummers. See what you think. I've retained eight of what I hope are the best specimens from three different lots of eggs. I've kept two cocks back who are unrelated but both have come from what are supposedly egg competition strains. Welsummers lay extremely dark brown coloured eggs that are sometimes entered into egg classes at chicken shows and the competition between exhibitors can be quite fierce.






If it wasn't for this wire, I'd knock your block off.




All my birds are kept behing electric poultry netting which is energised by mains electric fencing units. As soon as the weather drys out, all the coops and sheds will be moved to fresh ground. The old grassed area will be harrowed and reseeded and this way, everything should be kept nice and fresh.
Thanks for looking.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your birds. Steve has always wanted some Light Sussex, maybe this year ;)

    ReplyDelete