Monday 30 January 2012

Sunday! A Horrible Wet Day.

Yesterday, the weatherman said that we were down for heavy snow but instead, it poured down with rain all day and needless to say, it was bitterly cold with it too. By mid morning and two lots of wet clothing later, Karen and I realised that the writing was on the wall and decided to down tools and to go out for the rest of the day.
We made our way on to the Isle of Anglesey and did a grand tour of the garden centres and farm shops.
One of the farm shops that I've long promised myself to visit,was Hootons at Brynsiencyn. It was freezing inside there but it was well worth the chill. As a change from many other shops, I was pleased to see that the majority of their produce was produced either on their own farm, or at the very least by fellow producers from the island.
http://www.hootons.net/
One thing that caught  my eye, was a tray of a dozen minute quail eggs and the price tag of £2.30p. They had beautiful patterns on the shells but there was very little of them. I've never eaten quail eggs and I was wondering what  they taste like and what you would do with them to merit the price tag? 
In an effort to get rid of a seasonal glut of eggs from our chickens, last year saw me making a largish amount of pickled eggs. Infact, I ended up making a massive amount of them. They were delicious and  over the space of a few weeks, I ate the lot. I kept them in the cider shed and scoffed one everytime  I went in there. Most days, I visit the cider shed three or four times a day and they were in far too handy a place for my own good. IMO, although pickled eggs taste lovely, they should come with a health warning, or at the very least, an explanation as to the workings of the Beaufort Scale.
It got to a  stage, the rest of the family tried to make me move out into the cider room. Pickled eggs and cider? A terrible combination!
Thats enough of that I think, back to Hootons. They were selling half a dozen small pickled eggs in  nice hexagonal jars for £2.35 p. and maybe, the next time that I make some, I should aim at farmgate sales, rather than home consumption.

While we were on our travels, we called we called at 'Farm and Pet Place' in Llangefni to get pigeon corn and dog food. We had time to kill, so we had a good look around. In the poultry department they had a small number of books for sale. One in particular that took my fancy was 'Free Range Poultry' by the late Katie Thear. I liked the look of it and thought that it might prove to be useful but wasn't prepared to pay the £23.00 asking price. When I got home, I found it on ABE books and bought a first edition for 64 pence plus a couple of pounds post and package.

No comments:

Post a Comment