Thursday 26 January 2012

Welsummer Chickens. Lead me not into temptation!

Welsummers? Lead me not into temptation, well not too much anyway and please Lord, let my wife Karen say yes!  
Through a friend, an opportunity has arisen where I might be able to lay my hands on some top notch birds. If this comes off and my plans come to fruition, then these new  birds will be from a breeder who is having to come out of keeping chickens due to his ill health but it will involve a fairly long journey. Infact, it will be a full day job and probably a stay out over nighter.
The chap exhibits his eggs in some of the big shows and his Welsummers are reknowned for laying extremely dark brown eggs that he does very well with.
I've promised Karen that I'm going to stick in future to keeping just the two breeds, thats Light Sussex and Welsummers and that I wont diversify into anything else but surely, if thats what I'm going to do, then its only common sense to keep the best that I can get isn't it?
Assuming that I get these birds and that they do lay really dark brown eggs, I think that its going to be an exciting and interesting exercise trying to maintain and hopefully go to build up from their current standard. The best laid plans of mice and men eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment